What I Know So Far
Been here for 9 days, but I haven’t actually had the chance to see much of the city yet. Here’s what I’ve observed so far :
1. Buenos Aires is known to be the Paris of South America. It’s true – but mostly ghetto Paris.
2. The people here are not so friendly, but neither are they snobs. I was told that their neighbors, the Brasilianos are the friendlier bunch.
3. The male population in this side of the world (visiting male foreigners included), seem to have developed an aversion towards the razor. Everyone’s got either a beard or 5 o’clock shadow. Such hipsters…
4.The ageing population of Buenos Aires are a healthy bunch. Thery’re still able to go on long walks, late date nights and afternoons at the park with their amigo/as. All without the aid of nurses or care takers.
5. This is another “traffic lights are merely suggestions” city. Road rage and hit & runs are mundane affairs. As are protests.
6. The Argentine diet consists only of three food groups : Beef, Dulce de Leche, and Malbec.
7. Despite the copious amount of beef, sugar and vino they consume, Porteños (people of BA) are ridiculously slim.
8. Then again, one of the benefits of the Argentines’ medical insurance is free plastic surgery EVERY two years.
9. Porteños are not mall rats. They really only go to the mall out of necessity.There might be only 4 or 5 malls here.
10. “The nightlife here is epic”. I don’t even know why they call it “night”life, because it starts at 1am all the way till 6am. Sometimes even 10!
11. They have NO SENSE OF TIME. They make Pinoys look punctual.
12. The girls here don’t wear makeup. They don’t have to. Then again, refer to #8.
13. Asians are arguably the most hard-working people here. Only the stores run by Asians remain open during siesta hours (apart from the major tiendas, of course).
14. Argentina is a beautiful, beautiful country – Andes mountains, Iguazu Falls, GLACIERS, wine regions, peninsulas, etc. The thing is, domestic travel is expensive (foreigners pay more than locals for plane tickets).The one thing they lack would be pristine beaches.
15. The serviettes here are pointless.