10 Things About Mate
(because I’m too incoherent to string together sentences)
1. Pronounced as mah-tey
2. It’s an Argentine tradition. A daily ritual. Every home has mate.
3. It is usually taken hot, but it’s okay to drink if it has cooled off
4. The ritual consists of Yerba (the tea itself), Mate (the gourd/ cup, usually wooden), Bombilla (the metal straw with filter at the bottom), Thermos of hot water, and an optional Azucar (sugar).
5. You will always see someone walking around, sitting on the sidewalk or chilling at the park with their mate paraphernalia.
6. It’s meant to be shared. Yes, everyone drinks from the same straw. Porteños are always willing to offer a sip, even to strangers.
7. You should NEVER stir the drink with the bombilla. Locals take it as an insult. I learned this the hard way.
8. This herbal drink has a litany of benefits.
9. It’s an acquired taste.
10. No se…no se…